Gratitude creates a great attitude.
Be thankful for what you have instead of stressing about what you need.
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, here are eleven items I am grateful for.
- Women achieving positions of power – Testosterone based decision making never ends well.
- The Presidency – Disagreeing with or disliking the President beats the alternative. Military Dictatorship, King, Emperor, or Czar are poor substitutes for our flawed system.
- Government R&D programs – Despite inefficiencies, its hard to criticize research that produced G.P.S., the internet, and space travel.
- Sunday N.F.L. Football – Ignoring the concussions and a general state of greed, Football blows away the colonial version of The Red Zone. Preachers giving detailed day-long descriptions of the various tortures all of us sinners will receive in Hell sounded like a real buzzkill.
- The F.D.A. – Sausage and Peppers go down much easier without thoughts of consuming human digits and rat meat.
- Public Education – Imagine having your kids 24/7 without the benefit of a family farm to occupy their time?
- Nurses – Despite being overworked and underpaid, they strive to make sick kids hospital stays just a little bit brighter.
- The Pretentious and self-important – Without them, mocking people wouldn’t be the same.
- The Game of Thrones – It never gets old watching Dragons torch the bad guys.
- Human progress in every quality of life metric – Do you think catching the Black Plague, receiving an invitation to the Spanish Inquisition or dying in a World War is a good time? A no-brainer, despite the negativity we are bombarded with on a daily basis.
- Our Military and their families, past and present – Scratch all of the above without the sacrifices of these select few.
We have much to be thankful for. Especially, winning the genetic lottery by being born in the United States.
Have a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving!